As an addendum to my talk, “Typography is IA”, I’ve compiled a list of resources which I’ve found useful in my learnings and research. I hope you find them useful and enjoyable as much as I did.
- The complete manual of typography by Jim Felici
- Stop stealing sheep and find out how type works by Erik Spiekermann and E.M. Ginger
- Five simple steps to better typography by Mark Boulton
- While you’re reading by Gerard Unger (about the reading experience)
Useful reads and references
- Responsive typography: the basics by Oliver Reichenstein
- Typophile forums (many practitioners and experts here)
If you really want to go deep and geek out
Note that most of these tend to focus on typography for print. YMMV.
- Elements of typographic style by Robert Bringhurst
- Modern typography by Robert Kinross (it’s dense, but I really love this book)
- The stroke: theory of writing by Gerrit Noordzij
- Detail in typography by Jost Hochuli
Or try the reading lists from the experts themselves…
- Summer reading list for MA Typeface Design at Reading University by Gerry Leonidas
- Recommended reading by Jason Santa Maria
Feel free to suggest more, or ask if you have any specific questions. Thanks!